Seadragons and Seals Boat TourThe best fun snorkelling in Sorrento
Home > Excursions > Seadragons and Seals Boat Tour
Seadragons & Seals Boat Tour
See the most amazing colourful Weedy Seadragons and swim with wild Australian Fur Seals on our boutique 1.5-hour snorkelling tour for just six guests.
Cruising to the beautiful home of Victoria’s own weedy seadragons, you’ll snorkel and see these incredible marine animals in all their colour up close in their natural home. Then we’ll head towards Chinaman’s Hat, commonly called the Taj Mahal for our seals. Here at this local shallow snorkelling site, you’ll enjoy all the fun of swimming freely as the seals enjoy their life with you.
- Caters for all swimming abilities
- Snorkellers will be entertained by wildlife interaction
- Includes hire of snorkelling gear; wetsuits, fins, mask and snorkel
- Limited to just six guests, you’ll enjoy an uninterrupted underwater experience
- The tour departs from Sorrento, VIC
- Private tours available
- Our skippers and professional in-water guides are passionate locals about our history and wildlife on the Mornington Peninsula
Children (8-14) must be accompanied by an adult
1.5 Hours depending on season and logistics
Ages 8 and up. Some restrictions may apply at times
11:30am during October
9am November to end of April
Expect to see
Colourful seadragons and playful seals
Style of Tour
In-water Excursion: In-water tour, wetsuits provided. Minimum 5mm thickness recommended if you prefer your own.
Seadragons and Seals Boat Tour
All levels of swimmers will love seeing the colourful and unique weedy seadragons on the Seadragons and Seals Snorkel Boat Tour. This tour is for everyone who wants to enjoy the underwater world, even if it’s your first time snorkelling. See marine life found nowhere else on Earth! We are highly experienced with people who lack confidence in the water and our small groups help you enjoy full attention.
Spend an exciting tour with friends swimming with seals and seeing creatures only found in our pristine waters.
Enjoy a boutique WaterMaarq RIB boat excursion with a maximum of just six guests per tour.
Swim with Wildlife
An excursion from Sorrento is the best way to experience the thriving reefs, both natural and artificial, that give protection to fish, seadragons, stingrays, cuttlefish and crabs. The playfulness of the seals is always a highlight. Above water on the haul-out platform, you’ll see them jostling for position and hear them vocalising, which helps them identify both neighbours and strangers. Snorkelling alongside the seals, you’ll delight in their inquisitive and friendly manner in the water as you swim around with them.
Excursions are for all abilities and tailored for you to experience the best conditions and sites on the day. Request a private tour for your group to explore new undiscovered territories.
The Bay here is beautiful with sandy beaches and exposed coastal cliffs. The water is generally cleaner and clearer and in summer months reaches temperatures up to 21 degrees.
Make your way to Sorrento on the Mornington Peninsula to meet your local guide and your rigid inflatable boat (RIB). Sorrento is around a 1.5hr drive from Melbourne.
Meeting at the Sorrento Pier at least 25 minutes before departure (allow more time in summer), you’ll be greeted by your Guide and introduced to fellow guests.
Slip into your wetsuit and listen to a short briefing on what to expect during the 1.5-hour boat excursion. Hop in to the boat and take your seat; it may be a lively ride.
Booking and Arrival
• It is recommended that you book at least one week in advance of your preferred date
• Please arrive 25 minutes prior to your scheduled departure.
• In the event of rain or inclement weather your experience will still go ahead unless contacted by the experience provider
• If your experience is cancelled you will be rescheduled by the provider
• You will need to bring your swimmers and a towel
• Wetsuits are compulsory and supplied
• Wetsuits must be put on before boarding the vessel
What to Bring
• Only a very small bag, waterproof is better
• Re-useable water bottle
• Camera / Go Pro
• Sun Hat or Beanie
• Wind / Spray Jacket
• Suitable for all swimming abilities
• Snorkelling oriented tour, no weightbelts
From Melbourne you’ll need to drive around 90 minutes south to Sorrento on the Mornington Peninsula (allow 2 hours in summer, sometimes longer). Once you’re in Sorrento, you should park near the ferry terminal. Make your way to the Sorrento Pier (at the end of the Esplanade).
From Queenscliff, catch the Sorrento-Queenscliff ferry towards Sorrento and once arrived, make your way to the Sorrento Pier (at the end of the Esplanade).
Walk to the main Sorrento ferry pier and look for our vessel, Kavorca,
Sorrento Pier address:
Esplanade, Sorrento VIC 3943
*On Google Maps make your way to the pin-drop for WaterMaarq
• 1.5-hour snorkelling experience by boat
• Local professionally trained in-water Guide
• Maximum 6 guests for a safe and personalised experience
• Take an adventure and join the fun of exploring and uncovering more of the bay’s secrets!
Ideal for all levels of swimmers.
Children (8-14 years old) must be accompanied by an adult.
• 1.5-hour snorkelling experience by boat
• Professional local guide
• Safety equipment and pre-tour briefings
• Parks Victoria use fees
Use of Weightbelts
• Snorkellers may not use weighbelts at any time
· If cancelled within 7 days of the scheduled starting date of the booking, a 50% cancellation fee will required by the company or individual
· If within 24 hours of the scheduled starting date of the booking, a 100% cancellation fee will be required by the company or individual. A cancellation fee will be based on the full cost of the booking at time of purchase
· Refunds are not available for bookings made via tour agents or third party tour booking providers.
Important Things You Should Know
• This experience is best for snorkellers
• Adult pricing applies to travellers 14 years old or more
• Children must be at least 8 years old to join the tour
• Please note that the minimum height overrules the age for safety reason
• Minimum height: 1.40 m
• Maximum weight: 110 kg
• It is highly recommended that you wear a 5mm long wetsuit to keep you warm during the dives in approximately 14-21 degree water. Wetsuits are included
• Confirmation will be received at time of booking
• Subject to favorable weather conditions. If canceled due to poor weather, you will be given the option of an alternative date or full refund
• Please note: You must bring swimming costume and towel, wetsuit (minimum 3.5mm thick).
• Not recommended for participants with heart complaints or other serious medical conditions (to be checked)
• Diving within 24 hours of flying is not recommended
• All participants will be required to complete a health questionnaire prior to diving
• Some pre-existing medical conditions (eg asthma, heart conditions, etc) may prevent you from diving, please consult your doctor