Swim with SealsDiscover the beauty of Port Phillip Bay
Swim with Seals Adventure
Swim with wild Australian Fur Seals on our boutique 2-hour snorkelling tour for just six guests.
We first cruise to Popes Eye Marine Park – a spectacular sight, and home to the Australasian Gannets, a unique colony that chooses Popes Eye as a breeding ground. We then head towards Chinaman’s Hat, commonly called the Taj Mahal for our seals. Here at this local shallow snorkelling site, you’ll enjoy the fun of swimming freely as the seals enjoy their life around you.
- Caters for all swimming abilities
- Snorkellers will be entertained by wildlife interaction
- Includes hire of snorkelling gear; wetsuits, fins, mask and snorkel
- Limited to just six guests, you’ll enjoy an uninterrupted underwater experience
- The tour departs from Sorrento, VIC
- Private tours available
- Our skippers and professional in-water guides are passionate locals about our history and wildlife on the Mornington Peninsula
- More detailed information below
Duration2 Hours depending on season and logistics
Suitable forAges 8 and up. Some restrictions may apply at times
Expect to seeSeals, fish, rays, migratory birds and diverse marine wildlife
Daily at 9am and 1:30pm from October to end of April
Children (8-14) must be accompanied by an adult
Style of Tour
In-water Excursion: In-water tour, wetsuits provided. Minimum 5mm thickness recommended if you prefer your own.
Swim with Seals Adventure
All levels of swimmers will discover the beauty of Port Phillip Bay on the Mornington Peninsula Snorkelling Boat Tour. This tour is for everyone who wishes to discover the jewels of the bay, whether you’ve never snorkelled before or are a keen regular. Visit Port Phillip Bay marine parks to see marine life found nowhere else on Earth. We are highly experienced with people who lack confidence in the water and our small groups help you enjoy full attention.
Snorkel on the surface with your expert guide and feel safe looking at local marine wildlife. Travelling aboard our RIB boat, Kavorca, you’ll get away from it all and enjoy a local adventure. Spend an exciting couple of hours on the vast Port Phillip Bay, snorkelling by boat along the Mornington Peninsula. Swim with Australian Fur Seals and fish species found only in temperate waters.
WaterMaarq RIB boat excursions are boutique. Purposefully small in number with a maximum 6x guests per tour. Our excursion takes you on the seas less traveled, it’s designed to help you feel like part of nature, rather than being an observer. Snorkelling with an in-water Guide you can be prepared to live an authentic natural wildlife experience.
Seals and Wildlife
Port Phillip Bay’s Australian Fur Seals once upon a time were under threat, but nowadays they thrive with their restful haul-out platforms. A highlight of any wildlife experience, swimming with seals shows you their diving agility, playfulness and acrobatic skills! Their breath-hold performance will amaze you too.
An excursion from Sorrento is the best way to experience the thriving reefs, both natural and artificial, that give protection to fish, seadragons, stingrays, cuttlefish and crabs. The playfulness of the seals is always a highlight. Above water on the haul-out platform, you’ll see them jostling for position and hear them vocalising, which helps them identify both neighbours and strangers. Snorkelling alongside the seals, you’ll delight in their inquisitive and friendly manner in the water as you swim around with them.
Excursions are for all abilities and tailored for you to experience the best conditions and sites on the day. Request a private tour for your group to explore new undiscovered territories.
The Bay here is beautiful with sandy beaches and exposed coastal cliffs. The water is generally cleaner and clearer and in summer months reaches temperatures up to 21 degrees.
Make your way to Sorrento on the Mornington Peninsula to meet your local guide and your rigid inflatable boat (RIB). Sorrento is around a 1.5hr drive from Melbourne.
Meeting at the Sorrento Boat Ramp Jetty at least 25 minutes before departure (allow more time in summer), you’ll be greeted by your Guide and introduced to fellow guests.
Slip into your wetsuit and listen to a short briefing on what to expect during the 2-hour boat excursion. Hop in to the boat and take your seat; it may be a lively ride.
Booking and Arrival
• It is recommended that you book at least one week in advance of your preferred date
• Please arrive 25 minutes prior to your scheduled departure.
• In the event of rain or inclement weather your experience will still go ahead unless contacted by the experience provider
• If your experience is cancelled you will be rescheduled by the provider
• You will need to bring your swimmers and a towel
• Wetsuits are compulsory and supplied
• Wetsuits must be put on before boarding the vessel
What to Bring
• Only a very small bag, waterproof is better
• Re-useable water bottle
• Camera / Go Pro
• Sun Hat or Beanie
• Wind / Spray Jacket
• Suitable for all swimming abilities
• Snorkelling oriented tour, no weightbelts
From Melbourne you’ll need to drive around 90 minutes south to Sorrento on the Mornington Peninsula (allow 2 hours in summer, sometimes longer). Once you’re in Sorrento, you should park near the ferry terminal. Make your way to the Sorrento Boat Ramp jetty (at the end of St Aubins Way, only 5 minutes walk from the main ferry pier).
From Queenscliff, catch the Sorrento-Queenscliff ferry towards Sorrento and once arrived, make your way to the Sorrento Boat Ramp jetty (at the end of St Aubins Way, only 5 minutes walk from the main ferry pier).
Walk from the main Sorrento ferry pier along the beach towards the Sorrento Boat Ramp Jetty, just a 5-minute walk.
Sorrento Jetty (and Boat Ramp) address:
St Aubins Way, Sorrento VIC 3941
*On Google Maps make your way to the pin-drop for WaterMaarq Charters
• 2-hour snorkelling experience by boat
• Local professionally trained in-water Guide
• Maximum 6 guests for a safe and personalised experience
• Take an adventure and join the fun of exploring and uncovering more of the bay’s secrets!
Find Underwater Secrets
Victorian temperate waters are home to marine species, 80% of which you can’t find anywhere else on earth. There are colorful nudibranchs, weedy seadragons (the Victorian emblem!), seals, dolphins, majestic stingrays and stingarees, plus our very own colorful fish species of blue devils, old wives, damsels and bullseyes.
Ideal for all levels of swimmers.
Children (8-14 years old) must be accompanied by an adult.
• 2-hour snorkelling experience by boat
• Professional local guide
• Safety equipment and pre-tour briefings
• Parks Victoria use fees
Use of Weightbelts
• Snorkellers may not use weighbelts at any time
· If cancelled within 7 days of the scheduled starting date of the booking, a 50% cancellation fee will required by the company or individual
· If within 24 hours of the scheduled starting date of the booking, a 100% cancellation fee will be required by the company or individual. A cancellation fee will be based on the full cost of the booking at time of purchase
· Refunds are not available for bookings made via tour agents or third party tour booking providers.
Important Things You Should Know
• This experience is best for snorkellers
• Adult pricing applies to travellers 14 years old or more
• Children must be at least 8 years old to join the tour
• Please note that the minimum height overrules the age for safety reason
• Minimum height: 1.40 m
• Maximum weight: 110 kg
• It is highly recommended that you wear a 5mm long wetsuit to keep you warm during the dives in approximately 14-21 degree water. Wetsuits are included
• Confirmation will be received at time of booking
• Subject to favorable weather conditions. If canceled due to poor weather, you will be given the option of an alternative date or full refund
• Please note: You must bring swimming costume and towel, wetsuit (minimum 3.5mm thick).
• Not recommended for participants with heart complaints or other serious medical conditions (to be checked)
• Diving within 24 hours of flying is not recommended
• All participants will be required to complete a health questionnaire prior to diving
• Some pre-existing medical conditions (eg asthma, heart conditions, etc) may prevent you from diving, please consult your doctor