Freediving Training Boat Dive
Freediving Training Boat Dive
Learn to freedive on our boutique 2-hour line-diving training dive for just four students.
This is for freedivers enrolled in a course or certified freedivers wishing to develop their skills and technique. The freediving training boat dive excursions are focused on providing line-diving training in a range of conditions to develop you to new levels in comfort and strength. Dive with a professional instructor to shape your individual development and achieve your certification.
Caters to level 1 (PADI Freediver) and Level 2 (PADI Advanced) freedivers.
Training dives are available departing from Queenscliff, led by instructor James Cini of Gnomad.
- All students enrolled in any PADI Freediver course must attend a minimum 2 x training dives
- Bring your own freediving gear; wetsuits, fins, weightbelt, mask and snorkel
- Limited to just four students, you’ll enjoy a high quality experience
- The tour departs from Queenscliff, VIC
- Students from other freediving agencies and instructors are welcome to join the training dives
- More detailed information below
Certified freedivers, minimum level 1. Some restrictions may apply at times
PADI Advanced Freediver (Level 2): 12m – 20m
Style of Tour
PADI Freediver Students
Training dives for PADI Freediver and PADI Freediver Advanced will be held separately. Please contact us with any queries or for specific dates.
During the training dives, under certification assessment you will be trained and assessed by your instructor to ensure you meet the standards and criteria for your course level.
Our freediving boat dives are open to all certified freedivers. Freedivers with an existing certification from any recognised agency (Level 1 or greater) are welcome to join all our freediving activities.
Recognised agencies include SSI Freediving, Apnea Academy, AIDA, Apnea International (formerly Apnea Australia), PFI and FII. If in doubt, please ask us and we’ll provide further advice. Evidence of certification must be supplied.
Make your way to Sorrento on the Mornington Peninsula to meet your local guide and your rigid inflatable boat (RIB). Sorrento is around a 1.5hr drive from Melbourne.
Meeting at the Sorrento Pier at least 30 minutes before departure (allow more time in summer, as much as 30 mins more), you’ll be greeted by your Instructor and introduced to fellow guests.
Slip into your wetsuit and listen to a short briefing on what to expect during the 2-hour boat excursion. Hop in to the boat and take your seat; it may be a lively ride.
Leaving Sorrento we will head south towards Portsea and Point Nepean and shortly arrive at the dive site. Typically the session will run as a drift dive to maximise the depths available working with the prevailing currents and tides to optimise the training. Diving in buddy pairs, you will work with the instructor on the float and line, focusing on improving technique, whether that’s duck-dive, finning, hydrodynamics, equalisation, constant weight or free immersion or other areas of the discipline that may need attention.
Correct breathing preparation, recovery breathing and mental management aspects will also be reviewed and corrected as necessary. Demonstration of safe practices, the buddy system, proper weighting, skills tests, safety, rescues and good technique will be necessary to satisfy completion of any certification dive requirements.
Diving with other buddies, you’ll quickly develop new friends to dive with and share the experience of learning to freedive in front of the spectacular backdrop that is Port Phillip Bay and the Mornington Peninsula.
Bookings and Arrival
• Excursions operate October – April each year
• Excursions are two hours in duration
• It is recommended that you book well in advance of your preferred date
• Please arrive 30 minutes prior to your scheduled departure.
Numbers on the day
• Maximum of 4 freedivers in certification training on each tour
• In the event of rain or inclement weather your experience will still go ahead unless contacted by the experience provider
• If your experience is cancelled you will be rescheduled by the provider
• You will need to bring your swimmers and a towel
• Wetsuits are compulsory, minimum 3.5mm with hood, gloves and booties (Summer)
• Thicker wetsuits (5mm) are recommended in Spring/Autumn
• Rental wetsuits (two-piece 5mm with hoods) are available if you do not have your own. *These must be requested at time of booking
• Wetsuits must be put on before boarding the vessel
What to Bring
• Only a very small bag, waterproof is better
• Re-useable water bottle
• Camera / Go Pro
• Sun Hat or Beanie
• Wind / Spray Jacket
• Not suitable for snorkellers
• Certified Freedivers and those enrolled for training and certification may use weightbelts
• Items such as knives, spearguns are not allowed
From Melbourne you’ll need to drive around 90 minutes south to Sorrento on the Mornington Peninsula (allow 2 hours in summer, sometimes longer). Once you’re in Sorrento, you should park near the ferry terminal. Make your way to the Sorrento Pier (at the end of the Esplanade).
From Queenscliff, catch the Sorrento-Queenscliff ferry towards Sorrento and once arrived, make your way to the Sorrento Pier (at the end of the Esplanade).
Walk to the main Sorrento ferry pier and look for our vessel, Kavorca,
Sorrento Pier address:
Esplanade, Sorrento VIC 3943
*On Google Maps make your way to the pin-drop for WaterMaarq
The excursion includes:
• Join the pioneers of freediving in southern Australia
• 2-hour professional freediving instruction
• Personalised experience for 4 trainees
• Bring your own wetsuit or hire one
• Individually tailored skills and performance develpment
• In-water instruction and assignment of buddies
• Safety briefings
• The option to be assessed towards PADI Freediver certification is also available (*conditions apply)
During the sessions participants are constantly monitored for safety by dedicated instructors who will, in turn, also be able to give valuable tips for those who want to improve equalisation, the freediver trim, freefall, constant weight and free immersion.
For freedivers enrolled in a course or freedivers with a recognised certification wishing to develop their skills and technique with a professional instructor, this is the perfect option to train with and be guided by a professional.
• 2-hour freediving experience by boat
• Professional freediving instructor
• Safety equipment and pre-tour briefings
*Hire equipment is available for rent.
• Parks Victoria use fees
Equipment Not Included:
Wetsuits, Weightbelts, Mask, Snorkel & Fins:
• You must bring your own wetsuit and gear, or hire equipment for this excursion
• Minimum height for wetsuits: 150cm
• Maximum weight for wetsuits: 110kg
• Minimum shoesize for fins: EU35
• Freedivers may use weightbelts and must observe and use the buddy system at all times (one-up, one-down)
• Wetsuits, all gear and weightbelts are available for hire and must be requested at the time of booking
• Food and drinks
• Hotel pickup and drop-off
· If cancelled within 7 days of the scheduled starting date of the booking, a 50% cancellation fee will required by the company or individual
· If within 24 hours of the scheduled starting date of the booking, a 100% cancellation fee will be required by the company or individual. A cancellation fee will be based on the full cost of the booking at time of purchase
· Refunds are not available for bookings made via tour agents or third party tour booking providers.
• This experience is best for freedivers enrolled in a course and certified freedivers (Minimum Level 1)
• Adult pricing applies to all travellers
• Children must be at least 16 years old to join the tour
• Please note that the minimum height overrules the age for safety reason
• Minimum height: 1.40 m
• Maximum weight: 110 kg
• It is highly recommended that you wear a 5mm long wetsuit to keep you warm during the dives in approximately 14-21 degree water. Hire wetsuits must be requested at the time of booking
• Confirmation will be received at time of booking
• Subject to favorable weather conditions. If canceled due to poor weather, you will be given the option of an alternative date or full refund
• Please note: You must bring swimming costume and towel, wetsuit (minimum 3.5mm thick). Please contact your local operator well in advance if you need to hire equipment, as it cannot be hired on the day of the excursion.
• As a certified freediver, must provide evidence of the certification
• First level freediving certification or higher must be provided
• Evidence of dive certification is required from all divers wishing to participate in a certified dive
• If you have not been freediving for more than 12 months we recommend a refresher course before joining the tour
• Not recommended for participants with heart complaints or other serious medical conditions (to be checked)
• Diving within 24 hours of flying is not recommended
• All participants will be required to complete a health questionnaire prior to diving
• Some pre-existing medical conditions (eg asthma, heart conditions, etc) may prevent you from diving, please consult your doctor